Friday, September 12, 2008

30 Memorable Moments

WARNING: This is a Very Long Post :)
Well today, the 14th, is my 30th birthday. I am feeling a bit nostalgic, so even though this is Michael's blog, I decided that turning 30 is worthy of a post. Here are my 30 Memorable Moments, in no particular order.
1. My Friendship, Courtship & Marriage to Andy - I have been so blessed by the man God gave me. He is such a wonderful husband, friend & dad.

2. Michael's Birth & Being a Mommy! What an amazing experience! Challenging, fun, exciting, hard, surprising, etc. I always looked forward to being a mom, but it has been more fun than I ever imagined.

3. My many opportunities to work with children - ACU Leadership Camps, Mission Trips, Teaching Elementary School, & teaching at the Fine Arts Institute.


4. Having my gallbladder removed in 2005 – surgery was a welcome answer to prayer after 6 yrs of sickness. The 3rd gastroenterologist I went to suggested we look at my gallbladder, which turned out, wasn't functioning. It was removed & I’ve been a new woman ever since! It is such a blessing to be healthy & feel good all the time!

5. Becoming a Christian & my relationship with the Lord - I was blessed to be raised in a Christian home & learn about Jesus from a young age. I have no memory without Him in my life. When I was in 6th grade He became my Savior - in High School & College I began to study the Word on my own. Since then I have grown to love Him more each day & I can't imagine my life without His love & grace.

6. High School Memories & Graduation -
7. My dear high school friends, Carrie, Elizabeth & Julie - we have had many memorable moments together - they are like sisters to me :)
8. My amazing college experience at ACU – friendships, roommates, trips, Gata, Beltway, oh, & learning too ;) 9. My college trip to Alaska. This trip had many "firsts" for me - snowshoeing, skiing, feeding a wolf & eating muck-tuck (whale). I will never forget skiing for the 1st time. I had never been on skis. Instead of taking a lesson, my friends told me they would teach me as I went down the mountain! Ha! I have never gone skiing again :)
10.My dear childhood friend, Candice - we met on the first day of Kindergarten & have been close friends ever since.
11. My Mom & I have the same birthday! It has been fun throughout the years to share this special day & celebrate together. She is such a blessing to me & I have learned & continue to learn so much from her. 12. Many fun memories with my sweet dad - he has always been there for me
& so supportive. I am so thankful for him.
13. When Andy gave me daisies - In college, when I prayed for my future husband, I asked God that he would allow the man I was supposed to marry to give me a bouquet of daisies - as a confirmation from the Lord that He was who God had for me. One evening in June of 2001, I walked out to my car after work & I noticed there were flowers in the front seat. I unlocked the door & picked them up - And then it hit me, they were daisies! Andy had delivered a beautiful bouquet of yellow & white daisies to my car! It was such a special answer to prayer & reminder of how personal God wants to be with his children.
14. My fun girl trip to Paris in college -
15. My Grandparents, "Mommom & Papa" - I have endless wonderful memories with. They were amazing people who left a legacy for many generations...I miss them so much. We lost Papa in 2001 after hip replacement surgery & we lost Mommom in 2005 to stomach cancer.
16. All that I have learned through LTD - our training team with our e-commerce business is awesome & it is such a privilege to be a part of this group! I have so many fun memories with great friends!
17. Being in NYC for the New Year's Eve Ball Drop in 2005 - 18. Elementary School - I loved going to Tanglewood Elementary in Ft. Worth. My favorite year was 5th grade with Mrs. May - she was one of the main reasons I became a teacher. 19. Having a good & healthy pregnancy -
20. Mission Trip to Russia - In 1998 I went to Siberia for a month. I worked with children & taught Vacation Bible School. It definitely took me out of my comfort zone & away from the conveniences that I often take for granted - I will never forget how amazed the Russian women were with zip lock bags - they wanted us to mail them some when we got back to the US.
21. Watching my parents be grandparents -
Michael has so much fun with my dad, Po. and with my mom, Mommom.
22. Moving to Oklahoma - Moving away from family to a place where we knew no one but each other has been one of the greater challenges in my life. Although it has taken some time to feel at home here, I am so thankful for all God has taught us here. And I am so thankful for all of our friends & our church family at Northwest. 23. 27th Birthday Surprise Party that Andy gave me. We went out to dinner for Japanese food. Then we decided to go bowling - When we walked into the bowling alley I looked up & saw many of our friends from church. I looked at Andy & said, "I can't believe they all went bowling & didn't invite us." Andy said, "They're here for your birthday - Surprise!"
24. My Car Wreck - this sure isn't fun to remember but a very memorable moment - In March of 2003 I was driving home from teaching when a car lost control & hit me on the passenger side - I lost control & drove head on into the concrete median at 65 mph. My only injury was a bruised & burned face from the air bag...Definitely a miracle...and a lesson in living each day to the fullest.
25. Traveling - I have had so many wonderful trips around the world - Switzerland, France, Mexico several times, a Cruise with the Nelson Family, Washington DC & much of the U.S.
26. Andy's & my engagement - He did a fantastic job surprising me - He invited 30 of our college friends over to his house for a "Christmas Party." We played White Elephant & he rigged the game. I drew the number to select the final gift - little did I know that my ring was in the final gift. I opened my ring & he got down on his knee...the rest is history :)
27. Our Honeymoon in Playa Del Carmen was so much fun. One funny memory - We were walking to one of the restaurants at our resort for dinner when I tripped & fell. Andy helped me up, but I got up to fast - I fainted...Andy called for help & tried to wake me up but I had completely passed out. Finally I woke up & was fine...but it definitely freaked Andy out:) We had only been married 3 days!
28. Watching Andy be a dad - I love how patient & caring he is with Michael. 29. Buying our first house - In May of 2006 we bought our first house - a week after moving in, we found out we were pregnant!
30. Going to "One Day 2000" - In May, a group of us from Abilene went to Tennessee for this college worship weekend. It was an amazing, life-changing experience - over 40,000 thousand college students gathered together to pray, worship & hear the Word. Andy & I met on this trip, although we don't remember officially meeting - but we are in pictures together :)

9 comments:

McCullough Family said...

Happy Birthday sweet Friend! I am glad I am in your top 30! :) YOu are also in mine :) Love you!

Wendy said...

happy birthday! I feel cool that Scott and I both made the list!

Greg and Lisa said...

Happy Birthday, Alisa! Hope you had a great day! Thanks for sharing all those memories! They were great! Hope you're enjoying teaching again!

Kira said...

I somehow feel closer to you Alisa! Happy Birthday

Melodie said...

this must have taken you forever. i love it! happy belated birthday!

The Myers said...

Happy Birthday! Hope it was a great one.

Elizabeth said...

what a fabulous idea! I made the top 10 :) Glad you've had such wonderful years. I was kinda thinking it would be fun for Gloria to have your birthday too but glad she didn't because of our visitors.

The Swifts said...

what a fun post! thanks for sharing!

Shiloh said...

Wow. I loved reading that. You are a blessing.